If you’ve been around long enough to remember my trip to Montreal in 2017 (or click here if you haven’t), you might remember me raving about the bagels I had at a Montreal bagel institution.
I went there twice for bagels over the course of my trip, once to sit in, once to go, because they were just that good. I mean, look at them!
I had never tried this kind of bagel before. I now call it a Montreal Lox Bagel, because I first discovered it in Montreal and “Lox” is a cool word that I don’t get to use enough, plus it’s a bagel. But I’ve now figured out the recipe and have regularly indulged in the Montreal Lox Bagel from the comfort of my own home across the country. I actually figured it out a while ago and totally forgot to put it up earlier. Sorry about that.
It’s a new year and I haven’t done a recipe on here in ages! So here’s an easy one, and now you can pretend you’re in Montreal, too.
- Bagel (I prefer everything bagels, but the ones in Montreal were sesame, so you do you)
- Cream cheese (I recommend plain cream cheese)
- Smoked Salmon
- Lemon (Optional)
- Cut your bagel if it’s not pre-cut. Toast both halves. TOASTING IS ESSENTIAL!
- Put cream cheese on both halves.
3. Add tomato slices on one half. I cut them all fancy for the pic, but you can literally just slop em on. They’ll balance out the rest of the ingredients, and without them you’ll probably find the bagel a bit strong, so I wouldn’t skip this step.
4. Smoked salmon. Just put it on top of the tomato slices.
5. Onions. It doesn’t really make much of a difference what kind of onions, so go with whatever you’ve got.
6. Capers. I just sort of disperse them as I please.
7. Squeeze lemon juice on if you want it.
8. I put the half with only cream cheese on top, and if I do it right, the cream cheese will keep the capers in place cause those little buds like to roll all over the place otherwise.
And there you have it, your very own Montreal Lox Bagel! Goes best with a sunny day. Hope you enjoy!
BTW I recently surpassed 300 followers and I just wanted to say a big thank you to you for reading and following! If you’re not following yet, you can notifications of new posts via email by signing up at the top of the right hand bar, or follow with a WordPress account.